Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Rory McIlroy shoots down LIV Golf rumors: 'I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career' -Aspire Money Growth
Surpassing:Rory McIlroy shoots down LIV Golf rumors: 'I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career'
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 17:32:34
Rory McIlroy maintains he's sticking with the PGA Tour following a report that LIV Golf offered him $850 million and Surpassingan ownership stake to join the league.
"I honestly don't know how these things get started. I've never been offered a number from LIV and I've never contemplated going to LIV," McIlroy told Golf Channel.
"I think I've made it clear over the past two years that I don't think it's something for me. Doesn't mean that I judge people that have went and played over there — I think one of the things that I've realized over the past two years is people can make their own decisions for whatever they think is best for themselves and who are we to judge them for that? But personally, for me, my future is here on the PGA Tour and it's never been any different."
McIlroy doubled down on his commitment to the PGA Tour, saying he will spend the rest of his career with it.
"Over the last two years there's been so many rumors of guys — I think the one thing I've realized as well ... guys need to keep an open mind. I'm sure there's been players that are still playing on the PGA Tour that have talked to the guys from LIV and had offers and whatever. .... It's never even been a conversation for us.
"It's one of those things. It's unfortunate that we have to deal with it and this is the state that our game's in. But I'm obviously here today and I'm playing this PGA Tour event next week and I will play the PGA Tour for the rest of my career."
McIlroy's agent said there was "zero truth" to the rumors and labeled them as "fake news."
The four-time major champ had been one of LIV Golf's more vocal critics since its inception, going so far as to say last year that, "If LIV Golf was the last place to play golf on Earth, I would retire." McIlroy's stance on the Saudi-funded tour appears to have softened somewhat in recent months, however.
"I wouldn't say I've lost the fight against LIV, but I've just accepted the fact that this is part of our sport now," McIlroy said in January.
He added then he was "maybe a little judgmental of the guys who went to LIV Golf at the start, and I think it was a bit of a mistake on my part because I now realize that not everyone is in my position or in Tiger Woods' position."
He echoed many of those comments while speaking Tuesday with Golf Channel. His personal commitment to the PGA Tour, though, appears to remain firm.
veryGood! (47)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Cardinals rushing attack shines as Marvin Harrison Jr continues to grow into No. 1 WR
- Outer Banks Ending After Season 5
- Quincy Jones, music titan who worked with everyone from Frank Sinatra to Michael Jackson, dies at 91
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Invasive Species Spell Trouble for New York’s Beloved Tap Water
- Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office reviews officer altercations with fans at Georgia-Florida game
- Mariah Carey Posing With Her Christmas-Themed Wax Figure Will Make Your Wish Come True
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Bowl projections: Alabama, Indiana BYU join playoff as CFP gets makeover with Week 10 upsets
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Hurricane season still swirling: Rafael could threaten US later this week
- Ethan Slater Says Ariana Grande Is “Amazing” for This Specific Reason
- 32 things we learned in NFL Week 9: Any teams making leap at trade deadline?
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Freddie Prinze Jr. Reveals How He and Sarah Michelle Gellar Avoid BS Hollywood Life
- Abortion is on the ballot in nine states and motivating voters across the US
- Opinion: Harris' 'SNL' appearance likely violated FCC rules. There's nothing funny about it.
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Kenyan man is convicted of plotting a 9/11-style attack on the US
NFL overreactions Week 9: Raiders should trade Maxx Crosby as race for No. 1 pick heats up
Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker's Baby Rocky Gets Priceless Birthday Gift From Sylvester Stallone
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker's Baby Rocky Gets Priceless Birthday Gift From Sylvester Stallone
3 New Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) Rules Everyone Should Know For 2024
Saints fire coach Dennis Allen amid NFL-worst seven-game losing streak